OA Library

Excavations at Parton Colliery, Cumbria. Publication Report

Hair, Nick and Cotton, Julian (1999) Excavations at Parton Colliery, Cumbria. Publication Report. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of L7821_VL_Report_Full.pdf] PDF

Download (723kB)


In June 1997, a team of archaeologists from Lancaster University Archaeological Unit
excavated an area of the now disused colliery at Bank Yard Road, Parton, near
Whitehaven, Cumbria. The work was funded by Cumbria County Council in advance
of a scheme of protective landscaping. The colliery was founded in 1827, in the first
years of its operation being known as "Parton Drift Mine". The colliery continued to
function until around 1863, after which oral evidence suggests the colliery buildings
were adapted into a brickworks.

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: barker
Date Deposited: 08 Dec 2022 13:45
Last Modified: 08 Dec 2022 13:45
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/6925

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item