OA Library

Palace House Stables, Newmarket, Suffolk

Fletcher, Taleyna (2013) Palace House Stables, Newmarket, Suffolk. [Client Report] (Submitted)

[thumbnail of Report 1532_Final_LR.pdf]
Report 1532_Final_LR.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

Download (21MB) | Preview


In late September/early October 2013 Oxford Archaeology East conducted an historical building survey at the Palace House Stables, Palace Street in Newmarket, Suffolk.

This work was carried out in response to a request from Suffolk County Council's Archaeology Service (SCCAS). The Brief required that a survey, equivalent to an English Heritage Level 2 Survey was carried out on all of the stable buildings associated with the Palace House to accompany the Level 3 survey of the Trainer's House Spine Wall. The Brief also requested a phase of below-ground archaeological investigation within one of the yards – this piece of work will be undertaken as a later phase and presented in a separate report.

Palace House Stables are Grade II listed and lie on the opposite side of Palace Street to the Grade II* listed Palace House. Palace House is a surviving fragment of the palace built in 1669/71 for King Charles II, and the stables are traditionally thought to occupy the site of his broadly contemporary new stables.

The survey comprised nine separate buildings constructed around two yards; King's Yard constructed on a former stable yard built by Baron de Rothschild between 1857 and 1860 and Rothschild's Yard constructed on the east side of King's Yard in 1903. In addition there are another three buildings within a paddock on the east side of Rothschild's Yard which contain buildings dated to 1908 and 1912. The spine wall in the Trainer's House is recognised within this complex, as a surviving fragment of an earlier structure.

The survey of the fabric of the building revealed that the layout of both yards has changed very little since their original construction in the mid 19th and early 20th century. Almost all of the stable boxes accessed contained original 19th or at least early 20th century interior fixtures and fittings including troughs, wall coverings and tiles, windows and concrete floors. Although removed at the time of the survey, the original doors were stored within the site. One other building, the Trainer's House, also retained a small number of original windows and fireplaces and recent renovation works have revealed 19th century wall coverings. A number of original fireplaces, ceiling cornices, skirting boards and chair rails have also been stored for future reinstatement.

A significant amount of background research has already been undertaken in various archaeological reports and planning documents, however records held at the Suffolk Archives in Bury St Edmund's including architects plans and elevations allow for the precise dating of the construction and alterations to a number of the buildings. This is the first known survey to comprise a full descriptive report and analysis of the buildings and materials within the Palace Stables site.

This building group provides a good example of a surviving complex of stables used for housing and taking care of racehorses in training, complete with the associated buildings for the trainer and stable lads. This survey provides a record of the surviving example of such a building complex which together with its fixtures and fittings comprises an important historic asset for the racing heritage and history of Newmarket.

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Suffolk
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology East
Depositing User: Chris Faine
Date Deposited: 31 Jan 2014 08:57
Last Modified: 31 Jan 2014 08:57
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/1324

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item