OA Library

Liverpool Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool- Building Survey

Raynor, Caroline (2011) Liverpool Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool- Building Survey. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of L10301_FullRep.pdf]
Preview
PDF
L10301_FullRep.pdf

Download (8MB) | Preview

Abstract

The Liverpool Central Library Complex is to be remodelled as part of a £50 million development. Currently, the library comprises the William Brown Library which suffered
severe bomb damaged during World War II and was rebuilt in the 1950s, the William Brown Extension, the Clayton Stack, the Picton Reading Room, the International Library,
the Hornby Library and the Oak Room.
As part of the redevelopment it is proposed that the modern sections of the William Brown Library and the William Brown Extension be demolished to make way for a new, lighter
and more modern structure. Oxford Archaeology North were commissioned by Shepherds Construction and CgMs to conduct a building survey in advance of the demolition works.
The Clayton Stack has also been included in this survey, even though it is not scheduled for demolition, as it is anticipated that the proposed redevelopment will result in major alterations to the character of the building.
The Liverpool Central Library was constructed at the instigation of William Brown, merchant and MP for South Lancashire, and was opened on 18th October 1860. The
building interior was spacious and the upper floor was illuminated by skylights to provide adequate natural light, and provided storage for about 100,000 volumes, as well as
considerable reading room space.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Merseyside
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: Sandra Bonsall
Date Deposited: 14 Jan 2015 16:03
Last Modified: 14 Jan 2015 16:03
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/2328

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item