OA Library

Rochdale Bridge, Rochdale, Greater Manchester- Desk-based Research and Field Survey Report

Miller, Ian and Wild , Chris (2011) Rochdale Bridge, Rochdale, Greater Manchester- Desk-based Research and Field Survey Report. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of L10310_Rochdale_Bridge_complete-report reduced.pdf]
Preview
PDF
L10310_Rochdale_Bridge_complete-report reduced.pdf

Download (10MB) | Preview

Abstract

In November 2010, Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council (RMBC) commissioned Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) to undertake an archaeological desk-based assessment and laser-scan survey of Rochdale Bridge (NGR SD 8947 1323 to SD 8987 1342). The aim of the archaeological work was to inform the formulation of proposals by RMBC to expose the river by removing sections of the bridge, whilst maintaining the oldest elements of the structure.
Rochdale’s urban centre is of relatively recent growth, commencing in earnest during the seventeenth century. An important element in the growth of Rochdale during this period was an expansion of the local woollen industry, and the associated trans-Pennine trade in woollen goods. The significance of this trade is reflected in the numerous fine examples of Georgian merchant’s houses, warehouses and inns that survive in the Yorkshire Street area, which was essentially the terminus of the trade route across the Pennines before the inception of the canal and railway links. The bridge across the river Roch was at the heart
of this early development.
Rochdale Bridge was probably constructed initially to supplement the fording point across the River Roch. The bridge connected the ancient church of St Chad’s and the historic core of the medieval town on the south side of the river, with the focus of post-medieval expansion on the northern bank of the river. It remained the principal crossing point across the River Roch until the early 1880s, when Wellington Bridge was built. The short section
of the river between these two bridges was covered in several episodes during the early twentieth century. This process commenced in July 1904 and the final stretch was
completed in 1924, the construction being mostly reinforced concrete using the Hennibique system. A section on either side of Rochdale Bridge was replaced in 1996.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater Manchester
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: Sandra Bonsall
Date Deposited: 19 Jan 2015 10:16
Last Modified: 19 Jan 2015 10:16
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/2354

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item