OA Library

Morpeth Branch Dock, Birkenhead, Merseyside- Survey Report

Blythe, Kathryn (2010) Morpeth Branch Dock, Birkenhead, Merseyside- Survey Report. Project Report. OA North. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of L10173_MorpethBranchDock_FullReport2 smaller.pdf]
Preview
PDF
L10173_MorpethBranchDock_FullReport2 smaller.pdf

Download (11MB) | Preview

Abstract

The study area is located at the eastern end of the former Morpeth Branch Dock, in Birkenhead on the Wirral (NGR SJ 32859 89426). A pumping station, built in the 1960s, is located towards the eastern end of Morpeth Branch Dock, east of which is an open area of the former dock. The pumping station is being decommissioned, which would include infilling of this remaining part of Morpeth Branch Dock. Axis commissioned Oxford Archaeology North to undertake a desk-based study and mitigative survey of the dock in advance of its being backfilled. It was recorded by
means of a laser scan survey on 22nd January 2010, and the results are presented as 3D isometric models of the structure, as well as plans, cross-sections and elevations.
The Birkenhead docks were constructed on the Wallasey Pool, an area of deep water running inland for two miles, and thus well-suited for harbouring ships. The first docks
to open were the Morpeth and Egerton Docks in 1847. In 1866-68 Morpeth Dock was extended to include the Morpeth Branch Dock, a relatively small dock accessed by a
channel from the main Morpeth Dock to the north-west.
The construction of the docks was central to the development of Birkenhead during the nineteenth century, with industries such as flour-milling, tanning, the manufacture of glue, suet and gelatine, iron-founding, engineering and steam wagon and tramcar manufacture being established by the end of the nineteenth century.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Merseyside
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: Sandra Bonsall
Date Deposited: 19 Jan 2015 10:32
Last Modified: 14 Feb 2019 11:28
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/2355

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item