OA Library

Daniel Store, Peascod Street, Windsor and Daniel Department Store, Phase 2 Redevelopment, Peascod Street Windsor

Sims, Mike (2010) Daniel Store, Peascod Street, Windsor and Daniel Department Store, Phase 2 Redevelopment, Peascod Street Windsor. Project Report. Oxford Archaeological Unit Ltd. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of WIDAST09.pdfA.pdf]
Preview
PDF
WIDAST09.pdfA.pdf
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

Download (2MB) | Preview
[thumbnail of WIDAST 09 Windsor Daniel Store_A1b.pdf]
Preview
PDF
WIDAST 09 Windsor Daniel Store_A1b.pdf

Download (5MB) | Preview
[thumbnail of WIDAST 11.pdfA.pdf]
Preview
PDF
WIDAST 11.pdfA.pdf

Download (2MB) | Preview
[thumbnail of WIDAST 11 Windsor Daniels Dept Store_A1b.pdf]
Preview
PDF
WIDAST 11 Windsor Daniels Dept Store_A1b.pdf

Download (9MB) | Preview

Abstract

In March and July 2009 Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief at the Daniel Department Store, Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire (NGR: SU 9662 7677). The work was commissioned by W J Daniel and Company Ltd in advance of the redevelopment of an existing store. The watching brief revealed evidence of extensive truncation of the eastern side of the site due to modern intrusions, together with earlier basementing at the front of the site. Remains of the structures recorded on the 19th-century OS maps were also observed together with an associated brick-capped well. No evidence for structures
predating the 19th century was observed.

Between March and May 2011, Oxford Archaeology (OA) carried out an archaeological watching brief during the Phase 2 development of the Daniel Department Store, Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire (NGR: SU 9677 7677). The work was commissioned by W J Daniel and Company Ltd in advance of the redevelopment of an existing store. The watching brief revealed evidence of extensive truncation of the southern third of the site by modern intrusions, together with post-medieval cellarage along the Peascod Street front of the site. Remains of the structures recorded on the 19th and 20th century OS maps were also observed
together with two associated brick-lined wells. Evidence for probable late medieval or early post-medieval occupation of the site was observed in the form of demolition debris and residual finds. No evidence for any deposits, features or structures predating the 15th century was observed

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Primary Archives
Geographical Areas > English Counties > Berkshire
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology South > Heritage Management Services
Depositing User: Joseph Reeves
Date Deposited: 26 May 2010 10:59
Last Modified: 13 Dec 2012 15:54
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/250

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item