OA Library

Chapel Court, East Facing Elevation, Hampton Court Palace

Kelly, Alison (2008) Chapel Court, East Facing Elevation, Hampton Court Palace. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of HCP54.pdfA.pdf]

Download (15MB) | Preview


Oxford Archaeology were commissioned by Historic Royal Palaces to record the east facing elevation of Chapel Court at Hampton Court Palace prior to masonry repair and cleaning
work. The survey took place during April 2007 and included full recording of the diaperwork decoration, brickwork and mortars. Diaperwork on the adjacent section of the
north facing elevation was also recorded. The stonework of the east elevation (faces 1-5), the south facing elevation (face 1) and north facing elevation (face 3) that was to be repaired or replaced was also photographically recorded at this time.
The west range of Chapel Court was partly built by Wolsey around 1515-1528 with the section on the west range housing one of a pair of large spiral staircases that served the
adjacent T-shaped chapel. , Decoration was also added to the brickwork consisting of red ruddling, pencilling and painted diaperwork. Henry VIII constructed council chambers
beside the staircase in 1529, completing the two storey range. The range was heightened to three storeys sometime between 1710-1775 and 19th century repairs and refenestration completed the appearance of the elevation that we see today.
The survey and recording work done upon the Chapel Court east elevation enabled a close study to be made of brickwork, pointing and the various mortar types connected with the changes to the elevation. The remains of Tudor decoration were found in several places on
the Wolsey period part of the elevation where traces of the red wash and outlining of the joint in white plaster can clearly be seen. Using the Brick Typology Data Sheets and analysis of the different mortar types it can be
seen that there are many different phases of work upon the elevation. These include: the primary building phase under Cardinal Wolsey and then the addition of the council
chambers by Henry VIII; the 18th century heightening of the range; the 19th century replacement of the plinth to the base of the elevation and the addition of black ash mortar
pointing to the brickwork.

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology South > Buildings
Depositing User: Scott
Date Deposited: 18 Jan 2011 13:35
Last Modified: 25 May 2023 11:57
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/457

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item