OA Library

130-130a Standishgate, Wigan. Archaeological Building Investigation.

Elsworth, Dan (2004) 130-130a Standishgate, Wigan. Archaeological Building Investigation. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of Full report 160309.pdf]
Preview
PDF
Full report 160309.pdf

Download (180MB) | Preview

Abstract

The Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit (GMAU) and the Wigan Conservation Officer recommended a programme of archaeological investigation following the proposal to redevelop 120-130 Standishgate Wigan. This was to comprise a deskbased assessment of the entire development area and a Level-III type building investigation of the standing buildings making up 130-130a.
Oxford Archaeology North (OA North) undertook the work in June 2004. 120-130 Standishgate is situated at the north end of one of the main medieval streets of Wigan, and it is likely that the site was original part of a group of burgage plots. It is positioned close to the site of Mab’s Cross, which is closely connected to the legend of Sir William and Mabel de Bradshaigh.
It was not until the seventeenth century during Wigan’s early industrial prosperity that the first records relating to the site become available. These show that the plots were
constantly redeveloped during the eighteenth and nineteenth century and included farm buildings including a barn and shippon, as well as a malt kin, brew house and smithy. The general area saw a great deal of construction and expansion during the late nineteenth century and early nineteenth century, and the development area was clearly no exception.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater Manchester
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: Watson
Date Deposited: 30 May 2019 10:47
Last Modified: 30 May 2019 10:47
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/4863

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item