OA Library

Former Stables at Natland Hall Farm, Natland, Cumbria. Archaeological Building Investigation.

Elsworth, Dan (2005) Former Stables at Natland Hall Farm, Natland, Cumbria. Archaeological Building Investigation. Project Report. Oxford Archaeology North. (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of completereport.pdf]
Preview
PDF
completereport.pdf

Download (14MB) | Preview

Abstract

Following an application to convert the former stables at Natland Hall (SD 5197 8925) for residential use the Cumbria County Council Historic Environment Service
requested a programme of archaeological recording, comprising a RCHME Level IItype recording of the building.
A limited amount of documentary research was also carried out as part of this, which revealed that Natland Hall, which was still referred to as the court of the manor in the
eighteenth century, was granted to Ralph de Eyncurt in 1246, with the right to construct a chapel. This chapel was still present in the seventeenth century, having apparently been rebuilt in c1687 and used as the schoolroom for Richard Frankland’s non-conformist academy. During the early eighteenth century the chapel was in a ruinous condition and was rebuilt close to the position of the present church in 1735.
After this date Natland Hall was used as a farmhouse, and there are references to a barn and then stables in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The hall continues to be used as a farmhouse to the present day, although in c1960 a serious fire destroyed the roof.

Item Type: Monograph (Project Report)
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Cumbria
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology North
Depositing User: Watson
Date Deposited: 01 Aug 2019 12:54
Last Modified: 01 Aug 2019 12:54
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/5116

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item