OA Library

Snowdown Colliery, Kent Historic Building Assessment and Recording

Underdown, Simon Snowdown Colliery, Kent Historic Building Assessment and Recording. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of AYSNCO05_Building_Survey.pdf]

Download (14MB) | Preview


In November 2005, Oxford Archaeology carried out a programme of building assessment and recording at Snowdown Colliery, Kent, in advance of redevelopment likely involving demolition of the former colliery buildings. The colliery was started in 1907 and finally closed in 1988, and is the last of the former Kent coalmines with a significant number of surviving buildings. There are two buildings including some major extensions surviving. The majority were built in brick with steel roof trusses; some of the larger buildings have girder frames incorporated into the brickworks. Some have developed serious structural defects.

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Kent
Period > UK Periods > Modern 1901 - present
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology South > Buildings
Depositing User: Scott
Date Deposited: 02 Mar 2018 10:08
Last Modified: 02 Mar 2018 10:17
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/3489

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item