OA Library

St Thomas of Canterbury Church Goring on Thames Oxfordshire

Webb, Helen St Thomas of Canterbury Church Goring on Thames Oxfordshire. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of GOTOM08_Report.pdf]
Preview
PDF
GOTOM08_Report.pdf

Download (3MB) | Preview

Abstract

Between December 2008 and April 2009 Oxford Archaeology (OA)
carried out a number of archaeological recording and investigation
exercises at St Thomas of Canterbury Church, Goring, Oxfordshire. The
work was commissioned by the Parochial Church Council
(PCC)/Acanthus Clews Architects in advance of the demolition of the
existing boiler room and WC/ kitchen building, and erection of a single
storey extension on the south elevation of the church. In addition to this,
new flooring and under-floor heating is to be installed within the church.
The extramural evaluation revealed a number of structural features
relating to an earlier priory complex, including robbed out walls and a
column base that possibly made up part of a four-sided cloister. Thirtyfive
grave cuts were revealed in the excavation area, mostly 19th and 20th
centuries in date and orientated in N-S rows. Five were thought to be
earlier in date, possibly medieval. Skeletons were revealed in just two of
the graves, a neonate and an adult found at the deepest part of the
excavation area. Two brick burial structures with vaulted roofs, probably
late 18th century in date, were also revealed.
Remains of the north wall of the church and parts of its western extent
were uncovered during the intramural evaluation. The foundations of a
later arcade column, built after the demolition of the north wall was also
revealed. The archaeologists had the opportunity to record two well
preserved coffins, one from the 18th century and the other likely to date to
the 17th century, within intramural brick vaults. Five more grave cuts in
the eastern end of the north aisle and a single grave cut in the nave,
which are likely to also contain brick vaults, were investigated. 19th
century features such as brick heating ducts and the remains of a stone
slab and brick floor layer under the eastern and the central aisles were
also uncovered and recorded.
The project also included photographic recording of the boiler house and
kitchen, prior to their demolition, and of the nuns doorway prior to its
alteration.

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Oxfordshire
Period > UK Periods > Medieval 1066 - 1540 AD
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology South > Fieldwork
Depositing User: Scott
Date Deposited: 28 Aug 2019 13:01
Last Modified: 28 Aug 2019 13:01
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/5356

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item