OA Library

Orford House, Ugley, Essex

Fletcher, Taleyna (2009) Orford House, Ugley, Essex. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of oxfordar3-52941_1.pdf]
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike.

Download (10MB) | Preview


In late September 2008, Oxford Archaeology East undertook a historic building survey at Orford House in the parish of Ugley in Essex.
Orford House is an imposing Grade II* Listed building thought to have been built in 1699 by Admiral Edward Russell (the younger brother of William Russell, the 1st Duke of Bedford) when he was given the title Lord Orford in that year. The property is exactly half way between his two residences in London and Chippenham Park near Newmarket. The original layout can still be traced, although from the outside, almost entirely obscured.
Within the house a number of original features were recorded as well as impressive mouldings, staircase, ceilings and fireplaces added as new owners entered the house, keen to make their own impressions and statements. One of the rooms on the ground floor boasts an impressive asymmetrical Rococo design plasterwork ceiling and a moulded wooden fire surround with a carved Palladian lintel with mask and swags, which have been attributed by historians to the designer William Kent. The layout of an impressive Dutch Garden also survives, although somewhat overgrown.
A number of phases of alteration and building were identified during the survey, many of which could be attributed to new owners, the most extensive alterations took place in the mid 18th and late 19th century.
The survey included Orford House itself along with the Coachman's Cottage to the rear, a substantial timber barn and a Dutch garden. Other buildings associated with the house and estate were also briefly recorded as part of the group, including a dovecote.
As part of the brief, an archaeological watching brief was also required on any groundworks taking place – this monitoring occurred during several visits between October 2008 and October 2009. During the excavations of the foundations for proposed garages at the rear of the Coachman's Cottage and on the land between
Orford House and the barn, an archaeologist was on site to monitor the work. The area behind the Coachman's Cottage was the only area where features were revealed. The area was cleaned and the ditches investigated which appeared to be associated with the the Dutch Garden and were dated to 19th century by pottery, brick and slate found within the fill.

Item Type: Client Report
Uncontrolled Keywords: Essex, essex, Ugley, ugley, HBR, hbr, Historic Building Recording, historic building recording, listed, listed building, building, grade 2, Grade 2, Grade II, grade II, Orford House, orford house, Admiral Edward Russell, admiral edward russell, Post-Medieval, post-medieval, Post Medieval, post medieval, Post-Medieval building, post-medieval building, Post Medieval building, post medieval building, stately home, Rococo, Palladian, rococo, palladian, fireplace, staircase, dado, plasterwork, Dutch Garden, dutch garden, Dutch garden, Rococo plasterwork, rococo plasterwork, Palladian, lintel, lintel, palladian lintel, barn, watching brief, Watching Brief, monitoring work, coachman, coachman's house, foundations, dovecote, 1068, report 1068, Report 1068, OAE report 1068
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Essex
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology East
Depositing User: Hamilton
Date Deposited: 12 Aug 2021 11:26
Last Modified: 12 Aug 2021 11:29
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/6098

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item