OA Library

Base Court VI, Hampton Court Palace

Forde, Deirdre Base Court VI, Hampton Court Palace. [Client Report] (Unpublished)

[thumbnail of HCP113.pdf]

Download (26MB) | Preview


Oxford Archaeology (OA) was commissioned by Historic Royal Palaces to carry out
an archaeological investigation and buildings recording during conservation works
around and within the range between Base Court and Clock Court to the south of the
Anne Boleyn Gatehouse. This follows previous investigations by Oxford Archaeology
of the Anne Boleyn Gatehouse itself (The Anne Boleyn Gatehouse, 2009), The area of
the Buttery to the immediate north of the Great Hall (Buttery Roof Stair Conservation,
2014) and the range immediately to the north of the Anne Boleyn Gatehouse (Base
Court V, 2015).
The main objective of this investigation was to enhance our understanding of this area
of the palace through a thorough investigation of the elevations as well as their
associated roof structures and the arrangements within the range. Investigation of the
brickwork in the elevations has re-affirmed what was already believed about their
sequence of construction and has enhanced as well as supported the brick typology
survey created by Daphne Ford for English Heritage (Ford 1991). The range
immediately to the south of the Anne Boleyn Gatehouse was built by Cardinal Wolsey
around an earlier existing Daubeney structure on the Clock Court side. This was
subsequently truncated and the range was altered by Henry VIII. Through past
investigation of the Great Hall and adjoining structures to the north (Oxford
Archaeology 2012, 2012 & 2015), we have identified more than one phase of building
during Henry VIII's tenure at the palace, as well as reuse and alteration of various
parts of Wolsey era structures. This is clear in the two phases of the Henrician
addition to the Roof 4 area to the south west of the Wolsey range. Previously
undetected phases of Tudor brickwork, not apparently attributable to Henry VIII were
also recorded and have been added to the construction history of the range.
The roof structures of this range have been altered greatly, mainly in the late 16th, 19th
and 20th centuries. The remains of primary roof structures survive in situ under Roof 1
to the immediate south of the Anne Boleyn Gatehouse and in the Roof 4 area to the
south west of the range. All other roofs are later additions or reused and reassembled
structures. The interior of the range was subject to extensive renovation works during
the 20th century for the purpose of updating the apartments within. Consequently, the
original and later historic arrangements have largely been lost or cannot be

Item Type: Client Report
Subjects: Geographical Areas > English Counties > Greater London
Period > UK Periods > Post Medieval 1540 - 1901 AD
Divisions: Oxford Archaeology South > Buildings
Depositing User: Scott
Date Deposited: 10 Nov 2022 10:18
Last Modified: 10 Nov 2022 10:18
URI: http://eprints.oxfordarchaeology.com/id/eprint/6712

Actions (login required)

View Item
View Item